Office of the Chief Data Officer
The Office of the Chief Data Officer serves the Commonwealth by:
- Operating the Commonwealth Data Trust
- Advising state agencies and political subdivisions regarding policies, standards, and best practices concerning the creation, maintenance, analysis, and dissemination of data.
- Coordinating data analytics, intelligence, and dissemination master planning for the executive branch agencies and providing leadership regarding state data analytics and transparency
- Collecting, analyzing, and exchanging government information
- Ensuring the security of government information
- Conducting the operational and procedural audits of data sharing partners
- Identifying data integration and business intelligence opportunities generating greater efficiencies in state agencies, departments, and institutions
- Leveraging data from transactional systems for enterprise-level state business intelligence
- Ensuring data integration and sharing is performed in a manner that preserves data privacy, security, and confidentiality in transferring, storing, and accessing data, as appropriate
The office is led by the Chief Data Officer for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Learn more about the role of the CDO in the video below:
To maximize the value of Commonwealth data through strategic governance, secure and appropriate data sharing, and enterprise analytics services informing actionable intelligence that helps Virginians live better lives.
To inspire the global evolution of data from information to actionable intelligence providing better outcomes for everyone.
Data must be:
- collected and used to support mission goals
- interpreted, analyzed, and assimilated to support actionable decision-making
- standardized to promote interoperability and integration
- managed to maintain quality, integrity, and reliability
- accessible with appropriate security controls
- disseminated to promote reuse
These core values are our fundamental beliefs that will help define a data culture within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Data first, decisions second, action always.
Data intelligence over intuition and anecdotes to guide decision-making that results in action.
Trust the data, trust each other, empower all.
With confidence in the integrity of information, there is security in connecting with each other, ultimately empowering the Commonwealth to approach customer-centered services from an enterprise perspective.
Share, collaborate, support.
Commonwealth challenges worth solving with data aren’t limited to one agency. Share data by default, unless it cannot be shared, and with that single source of truth, seek to remove silos and collaborate in an effort to support peer agency goals. This supports the Commonwealth in serving its stakeholders.
Innovate with intelligence.
Draw inspiration from data to ask the hard questions and challenge what feels comfortable to ultimately uncover innovative solutions. Leverage data to nurture curiosity and engagement promoting a virtuous cycle of continuous improvement.
Sign-up for the Chief Data Officer Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with everything data-related in the Commonwealth such as events, news, data governance, sharing, analytics, and intelligence. Click the button below to sign up for Bits and Bytes, the monthly Chief Data Officer Newsletter.